market share is king in a capitalistic society

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on June 12, 2001 at 10:08:24:

In Reply to: Re: PADI, Instructors and fallacies in logic posted by MHK on June 12, 2001 at 09:43:43:

Lets not pick on Mike Cane. The truth is, this is all about disillusionment. Thats a personal experience, so we should leave it at that.

It seems to me that the root of the entire problem of disillusionment is not about PADI, but is rather the responsibility of either the Garden of Eden story or else the American Revolution, if you go back to the source of the real problem.

In other words, the Garden of Eden story tells us, either mythologically or religiously, depending on your persuation, that humankind is on his or her own, left to fend for themselves by the God of Heaven. [give me a break, I had to start somewhere in this analysis.]

This is followed then by a few thousand years of history and then by the American Revolution from the English Crown, which tells us that Capitalism will be the ruler of America and of American Government.

Under Capitalism, it is "market share" that is king, not God nor the English crown. PADI has accomplished that. You can join PADI or you can fight PADI, but either way you have to reacon with PADI because it is there, like Mt. Everest.

I have chosen to join them, and to make them better, if I can. I care about people.

Mike Kane cares about people too, obviously, or he would not be idealistic. Same concern. Different result.

By the way, on a more serious note, as if that last note did not seem serious enough, once you certify as a D/M or A/I or OWSI, your insurance covers you whether it be with PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc. Instructors are under scrutiny and pressure to cross-certify, which is not very hard, but none of the other levels infra to OWSI is pressured to do so. Seems like it doesnt really matter then who you certified with originally.

Capitalism influences scuba because it is definitely another way to make a buck. That is precisely what Jacques Cousteau discovered shortly after inventing his demand regulator, when he sent several of his AquaLungs to SoCal for sale. No certifications back in those days, just Cousteau's own Rule #1: Dont hold your breath while using it.

This fractured history has been brought to you by
/s/ RaiderKarl
the NorCal Diver (where the water is REALLY cold)
[4 monster abs taken so far this year]
[be nice / no ghost posts / or no ab trips for you!]

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]