learning tables has nothing to do with understanding them

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on June 12, 2001 at 13:44:31:

In Reply to: diving with computers instead of tables is a new concept posted by RaiderKarl on June 12, 2001 at 08:56:41:

Wow, I'll try and avoid a rant this time.

I would like to challenge your statement that learning the tables "is always useful in order to understand what is happening inside the body..."

A firm understanding of the tables requires absolutely no understanding of dive physiology, decompression theory, or anything beyond addition and subtraction. The tables themselves are based on statistical observations (of goats and folks, I believe). They really don't have anything to do with the processes behind the scenes. Which is where things like RGBM dwell.

My understanding of them is paltry at best. I've read several books, lots of email and posts, and been the fly on the wall for many conversations. But *NONE* of that information was presented in either my OW or AOW classes. Jolie Bookspan's "Dive Physiology in Plain English" is a great springboard. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. MHK, Terry, and Kendall are the real experts (and very willing to share, btw), I suggest you open a dialog with them. It's amazing what you can learn.

I figure I've got a while before my water skills are up to scratch enough to take the GUE Tech 1 class. But in the meantime, I've been trying to fill the void with academics. Patience does not come easily to me, and I hate to buy the farm by getting in too deep, too quickly.

JRM

-- "That's the real hard part... to know how much you ought to know."

X-1 circa 1957. episode "Star Bright"

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]