There's 60 dives, and then there's 60 dives...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CalDiver on June 12, 2001 at 17:21:08:

In Reply to: market share is king in a capitalistic society posted by JRM on June 12, 2001 at 11:27:47:

JRM, 60 dives can occur a lot of ways. Could be 15 days of easy boat diving in the Carribean...could be 60 Monterey beach dives through heavy surf with night, day, deep, reef, and sand experience, by a diver who loves the sport and studies dive theory costantly...I agree that lots of people aren't ready to learn leadership at 60. But some are. PADI standards require an individual assessment of the candidate, and don't provide a guarantee at 60 that you're in. NAUI, BTW, requires only 50 logged dives to enter the ITC. See www.naui.com

Also, you would have to have had additional (I THINK it's AOW, rescue, and DM) training, not just logged any 60 dives. So honestly, your statement that PADI says people like you are qualified to be instructors, is NOT accurate unless you've satisfied all those criteria. Your post is silent on this point.

Not trying to get in the way of the PADI bashing frenzy, but I am looking for a fact-based discussion. Most of these agencies have their standards on line; some "comparison" sites have inaccuracies, so you're better off going to the horse's mouth. (And no jokes, please, about which end of the horse THIS is coming from.)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]