Re: 160' on nitrox?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on June 14, 2001 at 08:26:48:

In Reply to: Re: 160' on nitrox? posted by Steve on June 13, 2001 at 21:03:52:

Steve;

No one "told" me anything. Reread my post. My conclusions are based on personal experience and my own research. If that's not sufficient for you, fine. I don't care. I've given you a reference from which to start. If you don't agree with my thesis, do your own research for a change.

Besides, what difference does it make what the PO2 is for a given depth? It's a number. So what? If lipid solubility is the primary factor in narcosis, then EANx 25 should be more narcotic than air for any depth. That's the point, not some particular depth or partial pressure. The degree of impairment varies by indivudual and by dive.

Another thing to consider is the narcotic effect of CO2 (high) which, given gas densities and turbulence, should be higher for more dense gasses. That's another reason trimix is superior at depth. Finally, CO2 is known to alter blood pH and that altered blood pH is a factor in RBC transformability. Hence, elevated CO2 may contribute to lowered RBC transformability which could result in lowered perfusion through RBC rigidity and agglutination. Trimix, being less dense, is easier to breathe at any depth than any EANx, including air, and thereby creates less resistence, turbulence and work (CO2). That's connecting the dots, I know, but there is plenty of research to support the individual dots themselves.

Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]