Re: Catalina Great White Attack

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on June 14, 2001 at 16:10:23:

In Reply to: Re: Catalina Great White Attack posted by Max Bottomtime on June 14, 2001 at 12:45:21:

Dude,

No offense, but if Mr. Teeth came at me with the hungry grin I'd say it, do it, and if I had my cannon, pull the trigger. I'd like to talk big and say, "no, I wouldn't have done x or I would have done y," but thats garbage.

Talk is cheap. Especially when its "your an idiot for firing at a 15 foot white shark rushing you." In the 1, maybe 2 seconds between aquisition, recognition, and response, it's nice to know that there are people out there who are able to I.D. the shark, recognize it as a protected species, and then have an inner turmoil about man's place in the sea. I'm probably messing with the sleeping lion, because my feeble self is no match for such powerful wit.

Should this person have pulled the trigger? Probably not. But if you really consider yourself high enough to look down on the someone who took that shot, well, I guess there's nothing anyone can say about it.

As far as re-entering the food chain: absolutely. And we're not at the top anymore. But nowhere in the whole food-web theory does it state that an intended quarry, with the means to defend itself, should just lay out and start basting itself. If the Man in the Grey Suit wants to make a meal of me, thats his perogative. Doing what I can to avoid it is mine.

JRM

-- It always amazes me that people will erupt about someone shooting something, even knowing it is legal, simply out of fear or ignorance.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]