Re: And Jeff...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 18, 2001 at 15:07:43:

In Reply to: Re: And Jeff... posted by Jeff B on June 18, 2001 at 14:14:07:

Posted by Jeff B on June 18, 2001 at 14:14:07:

My disagreement with Mike is not about when you are certified, it is about OW1 students sitting on their butts to practice a critical skill.

Perhaps I was less than eloquent or definitive with respect to my position.. You advanced my very thoughts, although I'm confident for a different reason...

The very point I'm advancing is precisely that it is a CRITICAL skill, and as such, should be taught properly, should be demonstrated properly, should be *mastered* properly and should not be considered as an after thought as it currently is...

No one is suggesting that pilot training is being watered down to the level as * everyone can do it* or * let the whole family experience it* while on vacation in Cayman, nor is anyone suggesting that 8 year olds are capable of *snubba* or some other such silliness..

Pilot training is taken and administared as serious business, PADI is dumbing down training and marketing it to the masses all for the sake of certifying 964,000 new certs per year.. With all due respect, you're comparing apples and oranges... I agree pilot trainers, or perspective pilots, take this stuff serioulsy, where we part company is that I believe that organizations such as PADI and TDI are too concerned with numbers and less concerned with quality instruction to be considered serious..

PADI's copyrighted logo is * where the world learns to dive*, if so, shouldn't they learn the proper way to do it????

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]