Re: Why Shouldn't I Attend?/You should.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on June 20, 2001 at 23:54:59:

In Reply to: Why Shouldn't I Attend? posted by CarolB on June 20, 2001 at 21:49:34:

Caveats for Carol:

1. I'm a NAUI instructor and have been teaching for 20+ years.
2. I agree with about 80% of the DIR philosophy.
3. I think most of the gear configuration is either not necessary for SoCal or overkill (but I also fell it'll work just fine, but just isn't the manna from heaven it's touted to be).
4. Even though he can frequently sound like a pompous and arrogant know-it-all in his posts (although I've got to admit he's tried to tone it down lately), Michael means well and has no ulterior motives or hidden agendas (other than to take a cheap shot at me whenever he can). It's not like DIR is the diving equivalent of Scientology.
5. Things will be presented as black-and-white and they are not. It's all shades of gray.
6. And . . . it's all opinion (inlcuding anything I say as well) so you need to evaluate it all for yourself.

With all that said . . . you should definitely go. You may learn something. You may decide that a particular gear configuration is more to your liking. You may find that there are certain things that DON'T work for you and can dismiss them based on experience rather than ignorance.

Go. You'll learn something, even if it ends up being what NOT to do.

As far as your NAUI instructor's comments, I'm a bit saddened by them. The spirit of NAUI, unique to most of the certification organzations, is to encourage an expansion of your knowledge of diving because a better understanding of this sport (along with continuing to dive) will help make you a better diver . And NAUI has never been one to be afraid of what other agencies might present. We feel the diver should be viewed as intelligent enough to evaluate the information for him/herself.

Personally, I think your NAUI instructor is revealing more about his own shortcomings that those that might be perceived in DIR.

Go. Listen. Question. Evaluate. Absorb. It'll be a good experience for you.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]