Re: Strokery continued . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 25, 2001 at 11:51:19:

In Reply to: Strokery continued . . . posted by Kevin on June 25, 2001 at 09:54:33:

Kevin,

One of the sources of frustration for me is that this is so commonplace that it is almost accepted..

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a trend here on the list that is atleast willing to accept the notion that the plain and simple thruth is that there are many unqualified diver's out there.. The norm has seem to have been that we needed to produce a peer reviewable study to prove that which we see with our own eyes week in and week out..

For certain there are good instructors out there, but by the same token there are so many that have been run through the PADI quota system that what used to be the exception rather than rule, is now the rule and the exception is good quality instructors.. Also, standards have been reduced and reduced and *mastering* a skill is such a subjective term that all too many instructors are buying into the instant gratification, the selling of added classes and the desire to coddle rather than challenge a student.. They pay you te learn, not a c-card...

Anyway, part of the problem with self-regulation meeting profit is that it is too easy for diminishing standards to interfere with profit motives.. You simply can't issue 964,000 certifications a year from one agency and assume that they are all quality certifications...

I don't blame the students, I blame certain agencies and certain instructors...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]