Whats up with . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on June 25, 2001 at 12:39:59:

In Reply to: Re: Strokery continued . . . posted by MHK on June 25, 2001 at 11:51:19:

MHK wrote:

"One of the sources of frustration for me is that this is so commonplace that it is almost accepted."

Ya, now that you mention it, thats how I felt. I was mad and upset, but I wasn't why.

For instance, one female diver who had to be dragged back to the boat after the first dive, was one of the divers that got caught up in the kelp on the second dive. She obviously didn't even have the most basic skills to accomplish a dive OFF A BOAT, IN THIRTY FEET OF WATER, IN A PROTECTED BAY.

I mentally rehearsed going up the her and saying: " Gee, I saw you were having some problems, maybe some additonal training or some supervised dives with a really good diver would help." Or maybe " It sure didn't look like you were having fun today, I wanted to suggest . . . . "

You know, kinda let her know in a nice quiet way that she was pretty close to being a stastic.

Then I though thats really the job of a boat captain, divemaster, deckhand or her own buddy. The last time I mentioned this to someone ( after I pulled them back abaord the boat ) was " Thanks for the rescue, but why don't you mind your own business."

What is up with the training ? What is up with the instructors ? My head is spinning from all the BS I have seen lately. Is the avergae diver getting worse than ten or twenty years ago ? Sure looks that way to me.

Frank and a bunch of others were on that trip and we all kinda looked at eash other and swore never to get on an open boat again.

K

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]