Re: DIR compliant? Only what I need..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on June 25, 2001 at 18:27:51:

In Reply to: Re: DIR compliant? Only what I need.. posted by AADIVER on June 25, 2001 at 17:19:31:

Frankly, Frank, I find it somewhat scary just how similar some of our beliefs (yours vs. mine) are regarding what's valuable from the DIR gear configuration. I'll leave it at that.

However, your comment about the most important thing you scavenged from DIR, . . . ? Am I correct in understanding you are giving DIR credit as being the first ones to teach being aware of potential problems and having pre-planned methods of limiting and/or dealing with these problems? If so, DIR goes back a lot further than I was aware. My Basic SCUBA instructor grilled it into our heads back in the early '70's when I was just a kid.

I wonder if he knew he was DIR before DIR was cool? He did require us to dive with a backpack and no computer . . . of course we didn't have "wings;" and that whole "redundant air supply" didn't seem too important back then. Although I think my whole class used Jet Fins (I still use one of the same ones I bought back in '73).

Give credit where credit is due, but lets not go overboard -- at least not until we make sure our air is on in case it gets deep.

Good luck.

SLANG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]