Re: support

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 27, 2001 at 15:50:27:

In Reply to: Re: support posted by nate on June 27, 2001 at 15:35:25:

One of the things you learn when you start taking GUE tech classes and when you start hanging with the WKPP is decp theory.. These guys eat, sleep and live it..

That being said, and I'm trying to keep it positive and constructive, is that your starting point is wrong..

First off, the Buhlman algorithm sucks when it comes to Helium based, deep diving.. Look to the RGBM model..

But more importantly you have to look to the shape of the deco curve and most profilers will put in max depth and time which adds unnecessary deco to the profile..

If the facts in the instant case support a 15 minute descent with 5 minutes at depth [ we'd obvioulsy need to know more precisely what they were doing for 15 minutes] but all of that is time that you build into an average depth, as opposed to shaping your deco curve in a square profile... This is what we talk about when we say *computing on the fly*.. The algorithms simply provide for added deco time that unnecessarily adds to in water time.. In normal cases it would appear to be a minor inconvience, but in cases of in water problems with no support diver's one better damn well know how to re-compute to know when it's safe enough to ascend if there is a problem..

Moreover, from the report that I read we are talking about a drysuit problem [atleast that is the theory being advanced] if that really is the case and there were no hypoxia or hypercapria issues then why the hell wouldn't he just descend once he worked out the drysuit issue.. Furthermore, there is no way I would have let my buddy ascend and then stay down for another hour.. I would have followed him up, or more accurately tried to hold him down, but if we did find ourselves at the surface it would have been a VERY quick " What the F**k is the problem and get your ass back down with me ASAP"..

Something in this story doesn't make any sense in addition to the multiplicity of planning problems...

Does that clear it up, if not let me know...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]