Re: support

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 28, 2001 at 12:32:19:

In Reply to: Re: support posted by nate on June 27, 2001 at 23:31:48:

Posted by nate on June 27, 2001 at 23:31:48:

Why bother with a critique of the deco schedule at all when there are plenty of better points to be made where you could actually be objective?

There is a good reason, because if Claudia had an understanding of deco curves she would have not stayed at 60' for another hour.. It's causitive of the problem..

I'm not picking on Claudia, but one of the important points we always try to make is we dive in a UNIFIED TEAM, that is different from the buddy system.. The buddy system can be as little as 2 diver's diving in some ad hoc, loosely based twosome.. A unified team means recognizing that your buddy is in trouble and doing something to help.. As I noted in another post, the proper thing to do in that situation [ recognizing of course that we would never allow ourselves to be in the sitiation in the first place] would have been to get to the surface with Garrett, fix whatever drysuit problem he was having and get him and her back to 2 stops deeper than the stops they blew off, and 50% or so to the deco time and ride it out...

You have to know these things ahead of time, you can say * I saw him surfacing and I knew what the look meant*.. That isn't a unified team.. If I saw Walker or Terry or Kendall with that look the last thing I would be doing is worrying about some deco.. This fatality could have been prevented in any number of ways, and focusing in on the deco curve is a critical element of one of the issues.. The fact that he lived for 5 hours tells you alot about the deco obligation.. This problem was solvable...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]