Re: Computer's and diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on June 28, 2001 at 21:05:29:

In Reply to: Computer's and diving posted by MHK on June 28, 2001 at 16:26:31:

Very interesting.
What I have to wonder, being a software developer, is why the software is not robust enough to do whatever you want. Sure some of your deco theories are new, but it shouldn't be that difficult to do and I keep hearing that the Sunto Viper does use you algorithms. If you're not worried about complexity of operation being related to complexity of what you want to do with it, you can put near anything in a small water tight package. Like #11. If I can think of it I can program it. Programming deep stops would take a small amount of intelligence programmed in, but nothing that hard. If I can't do the math, someone can make a solution that I can use. (I've done some weird programs).
Still, I don't consider any analysis complete, even a critique, without the opposing viewpoint being offered. That proves that the person examining the issue has done their work and is being completely honest.
A reason many people use a computer is that it allows them to easily dive all day and stay within a safe zone. More advanced methods might give them an extended dive or access to a more extreme dive, but if they don't want to get into an involved process, a computer is the best(easiest) way for them to go and will Mostly prevent DCS. As you mention, one of the common problems of computers is their conservatism. For this kind of diver, that is not only not a drawback, it is a small safety margin.
It is too bad that many divers are not familiar with the tables, but after my recent diving in the Carribean and seeing what the diving and some of the divers are like there, I'm surprised that they could all swim... well, I think they all could.
Enjoy, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]