Re: Ships to Reefs ala the Yukon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 29, 2001 at 11:20:47:

In Reply to: Re: Ships to Reefs ala the Yukon posted by Steve on June 29, 2001 at 11:12:02:

Steve,

As much as I will be sharing credit [ and more importantly responsibility] as we get a little further down the line, I must admit that Dick and I have been working on this for several months already..

The only reason that I've done public today is that the Rand report has just been publicly released and as such we need to act quickly, believe it or not time is of the essence with respect to the 400 ships..

In all candor North Carolina, New York and Florida have requests in for all 400 but we are lucky here in L.A. in that some of the ships cited in the report are local and are not sea worthy enough to make the trip to the east coast so we have somewhat of an inside track..

I want bore you with all the economic studies that we've reviewed about shipping ab storage but in reality, if you take politics out of the equaion, Catalina is a slam dunk location..

You all know I'm a BIG pain in the ass when I want something ;-) and I wasn't willing to have my name publicly affiliated with teh project until I was fully committed and believed that it would happen. I've done quit a bit of due dilligence and I'm convinced it can happen so I decided to go public.. Furthermore, public pressure will be critical and local and federal representatives will be needed..

Much has changed since the Yukon has sunk, and Dick has been an enormous source of information and assistance.. He has basically told me that he will do anything he can to assist, and I believe him..

In fact, he is agreeing to allow us the use of his EPA studies, which cost approx $150K.. That will save us substantially, moreoever the Rand report will also help reduce the costs...

We just need to do the legwork, and what I need right now is public pressure and heightened awareness.. Please contact Rep. Waxman...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]