Whales and music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on July 01, 2001 at 09:29:43:

In Reply to: Underwater Music posted by Moriarity on June 29, 2001 at 16:16:09:

Some years ago when i first installed a stereo in the good skiff, i built small wooden speaker boxes right into the structure of the hull. I used powerful 6x9 inch speakers. They would actually transduce the sound into the water very well.

One quiet morning off the west end of Catalina some years ago there was a pod of grey whales lazily moving in a column a few hundred yards away. I put on a classical music station from SD and turned up the volume. Immediately, a couple of whales spy-hopped. A couple of minutes later, several of the whales had come right over to the skiff! They hung around just listening to the music!

A few years later i was coming home from San Clemente Island when i came across a Blue whale a few miles off the east end. I was trying to get some video of the whale. I was following the footprints and trying to time my position for a good shot. I got into a good spot, turned up the volume and waited with my camera. I'm standing up on my deck nervously waiting for the whale to reapear. After about a minute, i look down and the Blue whale is DIRECTLY BELOW THE BOAT!!!!!! He was just hanging out listening to the music! (i stared the motor and idled away!) It never occured to me to film it thru the window :(

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]