Re: Catalina Great White Attack

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JimGillen on July 01, 2001 at 16:52:06:

In Reply to: Re: Catalina Great White Attack posted by capt-ray on June 13, 2001 at 20:59:23:

Well I don't have a masters degree in anything, I'm just a simple plebian, but I have seen a Great White underwater on the front side of the Island so I can at least speak from experience. BTW there have been several aggressive moves by GWs on the frontside, several years ago another one was shot at Eagle Reef when it rushed a diver after circling, and 2 years ago or so one chased a freediver onto the beach just SE of BlueCaverns.
I saw it imediately upon jumping off the boat ( Ship Rock)was freediving but hadn't yet loaded my speargun. I dove down on what I though was a MolaMola, but as I got closer I could more clearly see what it was. My gun wasn't loaded and the shark made no aggressive move. I surfaced and was able to call the boat back to me, admittedly nervous as I waited for it to return and no longer able to see where the shark was.
I cannot recall any desire to hug the shark or explore its innermost feelings while I was in the water, though I was glad for the experience later when I was safely in the boat.
My point is. . when I was in the water I would have cheerfully dumped nuclear waste into my favorite dive spot if it would have helped me see my kids again, and anyone else who says different probably needs to get in touch with their honesty a bit more.
If someone really thinks differently, and wants to criticize someone who is known to be very courageous for trying to protect his life, I have a test for you.
We can chum up a big tax collector for you from my boat or. . drive out to Lancaster (where my '72 chevy pickup could be said to be in it's natural environment). I'll give you a 1 shot bow and arrow with a 20' line attached, and try and mow you down with the pickup (which happens to be white even).???? You don't shoot and I'll believe you.
Jimbo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]