some have raised concerns+

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mike on July 11, 2001 at 00:46:17:

In Reply to: Are Scuba Lab Testers reviews objective and useful in picking gear? posted by moonpieboy on July 11, 2001 at 00:05:13:

that 1) RSD only tests gear made by those who purchase advertising in the 'zine.

RSD's rebuttal to this is that the manufacturers must send them FREE samples of the product to be tested, and that not all manufacturers play the game. hmmm, wonder if i could send them my homemade backplate and my homemade harness, ugly though they may be??

2) RSD does publish scathing reviews of what they deem to be inferior gear now and then, and they do claim that some advertisers have pulled their advertising in a huff, but from my point of view, these scathing reviews of gear are few and far between. Almost "sacrificial" should we say? Again, that is just my humble observation, which probably comes from watching too many Oliver Stone movies anyhow.

If you're looking for gear, why not check out DIR? Go to www.gue.com and take a look at the philosophy, configs, and keep an open mind. Also, several regulars on this board are exceedingly generous with their time and equipment (MHK, JW) and they would be more than willing to help out. The DIR methodology really is applicable to Southern Calif, whether hunting with a camera or a speargun or a bug-bag (of course that is ignoring solo-diving issues CovahnMahButt im gonna get flamed!). I have worn a semi-Hogarthian rig (semi hogarthian, because i'm putting it together as finances permit..it's gettin' there) for about 40 dives now since April sometime, and i'm really really pleased. I'll never ever ever look covetously at a Zeagle Ranger or Mares HUB again!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]