awww, whatsa matter? our wittle dive trip get cancelled?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mike on July 11, 2001 at 12:51:10:

In Reply to: Closures and Idiot's like some of you.... posted by Jason on July 11, 2001 at 07:00:04:

our wittle sinuses acting up? Yah i get cranky too when that happens but seriously, there is some very good science behind the closures. A further look at the maps of the proposed closures would indicate that most of the coast and channel islands and offshore banks will remain largely open to continued use by you, me, and the commercial guys alike.

Following your example, i suppose we all should have gone off on anit-science jeremiads had Cal F & G decided to close the abalone fisheries off of PV back in the 70s and 80s when things were starting to go wrong there.....now look at what we have; no f***ing abalone on PV. Even the bug hunting off PV is not so hot compared to the areas that are "defacto closed" to commercial trapping by virtue of their remote locations. And its getting real hard to find a calico bass worth shooting off of PV and the fat four-pounder i did see two weeks ago was too stupid for me to shoot..it apparently didn't know what a speargun was...go figure.
The fact is, that we are all taking a leap of faith, and hoping that the marine biologists are right in their predictions of increased yield in the areas outside the closures. Hell, for the last 10,000 years, mankind has put faith in a myriad (or should we say bestiary) of whacko cults, religons, ideologies, Marxism, Laissez faire, the NASDAQ, we might as well try listening to the FISHERIES BIOLOGISTS for once.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]