Re: So.Cal. Vacation want to dive.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CalDiver on July 11, 2001 at 18:02:45:

In Reply to: So.Cal. Vacation want to dive. posted by Bill Lester on July 11, 2001 at 06:49:05:

Bill,

There's a refresher program scheduled at the Redondo Beach Dive N Surf Store for 1-6 p.m. on August 4, which costs $50. A private will cost you more, but will work around your schedule. The gear, except for mask, fins, booties, and snorkel, is supplied for that. There is a rental department on premises.

The Redondo Store is about 45 minutes from Irvine (depending on where you are in Irvine, though). I think doing one is an absolute prerequisite to your diving out here again. Also, you need to really review some material on your own in advance to make it effective. The store will explain that.

You can also take a refresher privately. This costs more, but works around your schedule. We have a staff and scheduling meeting tomorrow night. If you want to take a private session, you should either call the store (310) 372-8423 so someone will sign up to do your refresher privately while you are here, or send me an e-mail with the date and times you have free and I'll see if anyone's available when I go to the meeting tomorrow night. No, I am not on commission. ( ;

Also, Jim Hoffmann at Scuba Toys in Cypress is very good, and closer to you, and there's Liburdi's close to you too; try www.liburdisscuba.com. I don't know Liburdis but have heard good things. I am not sure what either shop does for refrehers, so you should just call.

You could also take a refresher where you live, which might be the best bet, then just get a divemaster when you come out here to help orient you to local conditions.

Most stores can set you up with a divemaster through programs like "Discover Local Diving", and you can do a beach dive if you really want. But I think you might prefer to boat dive if you haven't done surf entries in a while. The boats will run you roughly $60-90 out here, board either at 6 a.m. or the night before, and take you right out to the best spots. There's a schedule at www.saintbrendan.com if you follow the links to the most recent issue and the dive boat schedule. Don't go by yourself. I bet you could just pay a local DM's boat fare and they'll go with you. Hey DM's???

Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions, hope you get back in the water.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]