Not Weyerhauser, JohnB, Loggers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tailspin on July 14, 2001 at 08:07:24:

In Reply to: out of business is NOT dead! posted by JohnB on July 13, 2001 at 22:47:09:

I could care less about Weherhauser. I have my own issues with Mega Corporations. Weyerhauser isn't hurt by the spotted owl thing. They just cut elsewhere or raise their prices.

But family owned logging companies were bankrupted by the spotted owl. Small businesses generations old were destroyed. People who were independant are now on welfare, or having to work for others in unfamiliar and lower paying jobs when they used to have their own small businesses. I've talked to some of these people and their pain is real. How would you like to go from owning your own small business with the independance that goes with that to working in a shoe store 80 miles from where you live? For a stupid bird? Especially when an almost identical subspecies flourishes a few hundred miles away? And nobody ever really proved that logging bothered the spotted owl anyway. They don't clear cut in Oregon. They cut triangles out of forested areas. The stinking owls can move to another tree!

225 years ago, when men had b*lls, they dumped tea into Boston Harbor over a six cent stamp.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]