Re: Splitting hairs...

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NightDiver on July 16, 2001 at 14:09:03:

In Reply to: Re: That's misinformation, JohnB posted by MHK on July 16, 2001 at 10:01:04:

MHK -

I understand the point you are making and, as a matter of fact, when I completed my PADI OW certification, my instructor did encourage me to begin working immediately on my AOW. At the time, it was my choice to hold off until I had some time and experience under my belt.

When I did take my AOW course and completed the requisite dives, I was surprised (and somewhat disappointed) at the varying skill levels of my classmates. On the deep dive (~100'), two of the four people in the class had bouyancy control issues as they ascended. Not surprisingly, both had only logged 10 or so dives since completing their OW course. I would argue that recency of diving experience also factors into this equation as well.

However, that said (and as you noted) most people take all of this into account when evaluating other divers. Some people with only a basic PADI OW certification have years and years of experience, diver regularly, and are excellent divers. Others have advanced certifications and less than 20 dives total. And still others have advanced certifications, significant experience, but have taken time away from diving and are, frankly, rusty and out of practice.

I guess what I am saying is that, even with stricter standards across the board for certifications, this still doesn't assure a complete picture.

I liken it to the martial arts instruction that I have received over the years. For every level, there was a set number of routines and skills that you needed to demonstrate and many people simply focused on doing what it took to pass each test and get their next belt. However, there were others who spent significant time at each level, thereby ingraining the skills that were to be gained at that level. Needless-to-say, when it came time to spar, the black belts didn't always win. Similarly, having been away from it for several years now, I can't get my leg above my head anymore (but I still have that green belt).

Just my $.02 worth.

DSAO

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]