Re: not a good generalization however

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 18, 2001 at 09:15:12:

In Reply to: Re: not a good generalization however posted by Dalia on July 17, 2001 at 18:12:31:

Posted by Dalia on July 17, 2001 at 18:12:31:

You must be new ;-)

Michael Kane

Now let's look at the rest of what you wrote...

By removing the boot camp quality skills from the
program, they have made it accessible to more people

And why is that a good thing???? The last thing we need is more poorly trained divers getting killed or hurt.. Here in SoCal we loose one diver per month.. How much longer do you think it is before we get governmnet intervention with that kind of fatality rate????

You go on to say:

That means, that more people will be learning to dive, more gear will be bought, manufacturers will have an incentive to produce better quality product

Wrong again.. Look at the mass proliferation of divers in the last few years and the manufacturers aren't tripping over themselves to make better gear.. They are tripping over themselves to make useless and dangerous gadgets that people can buy.. Spare airs, Air II, split fins and all the other color coordinated junk that they are producing..

Now you venture in to pure fantasy with the following:

Even with the hugely increased amount of divers worldwide, the amount of fatalities has not gone up. As we all agreed on this forum, most are Padi
divers. So, we must be doing something right.

PADI does little, if anything, right.. The marketing staff has taken over the ship, the lawyers are a close second and somewhere on the bottom of the food chain are the guys that are supposed to have some diving expertise.. Take for example the PADI RecTec fiasco, can you point me to the genuises that think that air to 165' is a good idea and that helium is bad for you??? This has little to do with proper teaching, it has all to do with the fact that PADI recognized the European market...

Furthmore, I reject your entire premise that PADI has an obligation to make diving easier for the sake of saving the sport.. That is pure PADI brainwashing 101.. How about they concentrate more on quality teaching and worry less about the overall industry.. That is precisely why I turned my back on PADI [ my PADI DM # is 99713].. All the care about is the bottom line and the issuance of 964,000 annual certifications.. I'd prefer that they care about quality not quantity...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]