Re: Wow! I think I'm just glad....

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 18, 2001 at 09:37:41:

In Reply to: Wow! I think I'm just glad.... posted by seahunt on July 17, 2001 at 21:48:12:

Seahunt,

We have no anger or hate, but we simply see that the for profit PADI agency in attempts to gain market share and increase profits are dilutting quality training to make more money.. That may sit well with you, but most of us have a problem with that.. If you don't share that ideological viewpoint that I'm more concerned about you then ever..

Now look to your argument and you'll see, once again, you've missed the forest from the trees..

You wrote:

Sometimes you use lines, sometimes not. Sometimes you descend in currents sometimes not. Sometimes you do it one way, sometimes another

Precisely the point... You have a wide variety of ascent and descent options that will more often than not be dictated by your surroundings.. As such, my problem is that the instructors that I've observed most recently don't consider this real life possibility and simply reduce the instruction to that which is convient..

By your own admission [ BTW, congrats, you're making progress] you acknowledge that divers will at time find themselves in a variety of ascent and descent scenarios, so rather than simply take an opposing viewpoint for the sake of being on my opposing side, why wouldn't you expect that a student would be taught these varying techniques??? Moreover, even PADI recognizes the issues, which is why they have, in theory, a standard that suggests with and without lines.. So the issue is settled principle [ but you've missed it again] it's just that in practice it doesn't happen...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]