Re: questions - my personal experience w/DIR

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on July 23, 2001 at 12:45:13:

In Reply to: Couple of questions to DIR converts out there. posted by Maciek on July 23, 2001 at 10:37:27:

I now firmly believe that if ALL divers were totally DIR there would be no more fatalities or injuries apart from the occasional heart attack.
That being said: I'll never be total because I dive independent of a buddy, I attach my pony to my main tank with metal Pony Tamers, I descend and ascend vertically, I have no use for a lengthy "necklace" 2nd stage reg, I monitor my bt's with two computers, and I dive 21% to my max depth of 100'. My 40% pony is for ascents only.
I "converted" to a Halcyon Pioneer #27 w/ aluminum bp and harness because I got a deal. I much prefer it to my ex jacket style bc. The inflator/deflator hose is always right by my left cheek, my front is clear for a bag and tools, but the crotch strap is totally useless so it's relegated to my garage sale bin. Also in the bin are my ankle weights; no need now that I've switched to XL Jetfins w/ spring steel straps.
So I'm semi/quasi DIR when it comes to gear. The most important DIR principle I've embraced is mindset; a pre-dive attitude toward safety.
Based on previously posted experiences, I wish my wing was a 36 rather than a 27, so anyone wanting to trade your 36 for my 27 please e-mail me. MSRP of the 36 alone is $338.00, the mid range price of the average complete jacket style bc; a reason why we see few Halcyon rigs on the charter boats.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]