Deal.

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on July 25, 2001 at 15:08:33:

In Reply to: Re: Here is a bit of the problem... posted by MHK on July 25, 2001 at 12:29:42:

Sure, I'll go along. And we can try to figure who is doing this (we may need to ask the students 'friendly' questions to get the details). You and I have a common interest to see diving made more safe. I think bad instruction is an area we all agree needs to be addressed. I will gladly do my best to make PADI or anyone else deal with violations of the standards. My only problem might be with scheduling because of my work travel. But we can surely find a time when we both can go.

But I also hope I was not misunderstood. I was not saying that I disbelieve that these things go on. I'm only saying that I have not seen them. I hope that anyone seeing gross violation of the standards will turn the instructors in. The problem is that most folks do not know the standards and therefore just see it being done wrong and assume that this is the PADI way.

I will bring my new and up to date instructor manual with me in case we have to verify which and how amny standards we see violated. Maybe what we need to do is come up with a checklist of things to notice and give it to concerned divers to use when tey see a class going in. Things like count students, instructors and assistants.

If we begin this effort I'll bet it will not take very many times before all the instructors start to toe-the-line for fear of being seen and reported. I am all for forcing the issue of strict compliance with the teaching rules, even if I am more relaxed with what experienced divers do in the privacy of their own ocean.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]