Re: But, more importantly...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by kelphead on August 01, 2001 at 14:40:01:

In Reply to: But, more importantly... posted by brianc on July 31, 2001 at 17:43:22:

well, i don't have my computer 'stats' w/me right
now, but here's the general skinny:

we took the 'cypress sea' boat out on saturday, the smaller of the two 'cypress' boats--and now i'm pretty much convinced that i have a problem w/such sized boats--the 'sea' and the 'lois ann' (didn't feel too good on that boat in btwn dives on saturday).

the 1st dive of the day was at the carmel pinnacles. we had to break green water at ~40 ft or so, but then after that the vis was clear (ie,
not turbid), but it was indeed dark. saw a lot of color, invertebrate life, etc.

the 2nd dive of the day was at a place the name of
which i forget, but apparently it also goes by "eric's pinnacle dammit". this site was back at monterey bay. not so dark, but very turbid green waters. again, lots of really nice color, saw a whole wall of club-tipped anemone--very, very nice!!

pt lobos on sunday, we swam out to one of the
rocks. there were lots and lots of jellies on the surface, and we were treated to tons o'jellies at depth (~35ft). we saw one strawberry
(or rose????) anemone actually eating a jelly-- half of the jelly was outside and the other half inside the anemone--cooooooooool!!!!!!!!

saw some rockfish that i don't normally see down here.

no seals, sea lions, or sea otters came out to play.

on the 2nd dive at pt lobos, this is where things
got frustrating. we hitched a ride on a boat w/some other divers and they took us out to some
wall. but it took me a loooong time to don the
rig in the water b/c the waist strap was too flimsy.

we had drifted a bit and when i was finally ready,
we dropped down--very green...it's then that one
realizes how much we are at the mercy of God's ocean, quite eery. after we cleared the green, it was very dark, and we headed in the general direction of the wall, but it was taking a while and we just weren't sure of our direction. we aborted the dive.

so, the last dive of the weekend was a letdown, but i can't wait to come back north again. ((just need to figure out the drysuit thing a bit more.))

i was disappointed that we didn't get to encounter any big animals, oh, well.

one thing i was extremely impressed by was my
buddy's 'hid' light. VEEEEERY nice!!!!!!! of course, i will never be able to afford one--hers is 10watt--but it sure was a pleasure just to see one in action. very good light.

= : )

kelphead.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]