Fraying

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ptf on August 02, 2001 at 13:48:21:

In Reply to: Re: drysuit diving - "My way" only 10% posted by AADIVER.com on August 02, 2001 at 13:21:54:

"Halcyon should give consideration to the fraying of the webbing at the top and bottom of the bp slots. Bad
engineering. I've had to electrical tape mine to stop the fraying. "

I think they have gone to beveling all the edges before they electroplate them. I will have to see by
checking the next batch that my favorite shop gets in. I didn't closely inspect mine when i got it,
just went and dove it with doubles. I ended up untreading the webbing, after marking it, and then a few
hours filing it by hand, I hear a dremel works real good for this sort of thing. I ahve about a years
worth of diving the plate and the Fray's have only slightly worsend. It is a relatively simple fix, I
am just too lazy to unthread so I will wait until I need to replace the webbing. I'll drag a file again
on the places where I didn't do a good job. I took the attitude that the plate I got was one of the first
few runs... teething problems. I sent them a note and suggested beveling since the plates looked like they
were punched. Not a big problem to write the CNC code to change tools and run a beveller (if that is a real
word).

I would thend to bevel it rather than use electrical tape, ssoner or later the sharp edge will cut the tape
and then it will start to grind into your webbing.

Uh oh I am babbling like a brook, time to hit the water.
ptf

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]