Re: Question

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on August 02, 2001 at 15:05:17:

In Reply to: Question posted by SLANG on August 02, 2001 at 12:55:17:

Steve,

The amount of *squirts* that go into inflating are perhaps being overstated or misunderstood..

As I've noted in the classes that I have been helping with lately we have been *breaking the habit* by removing the drysuit inflator and doing dives at 20' or 30'..

It probably sounds more complicated on the internet then it really is in real life.. But by inlarge you want to feel comfortable enough so that if you need to respond to an emergency you have sufficient manuverability, but not the Michelin man effect.. Thanks to whoever posted that earlier, because that's a good descrption..

As for decompression issues, I think you raise a good point about vasoconstriction.. However, it's a solvable problem if you follow what we have been saying.. Obviously we don't want someone to dive *squeezed* and the balance that we are discussing is pretty easy to figure out..

The other trick that we use in class is to have the students get all the air out of there suit on the surface and then walk into the ocean [ assuming a beach dive ;-)] and that initial squeeze that you feel is about the right level..

So long as you are comfortable and can respond to emergencies that is the minimalism that you are striving for and that will also provide suffient flow for decompression and/or safety stops...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]