Mink are overpopulating our oceans!!!

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by McShagger on August 02, 2001 at 21:23:18:

In Reply to: "‘COCKROACHES' OF SEA: That's how Japanese official describes whales" posted by kelphead on August 01, 2001 at 15:04:23:

I can never understand why Americans feel so strongly to save the whales. I cant stand these radicals, like green peace who do things without actually looking into how it really is. Now since this is such a big issue, it is hard not to know what exactly is going on. You read about it in National Geographic, Discover and so on. I am surprised that you all dont know.

Because there is a international "ban" on whaling, whal populations have skyrocketted. And for some whales, like the Mink, populations have grown higher than ever. According to many sources, Mink are overpopulating our oceans. The Japanese know this because they are monitoring the whale populations closely. Many seem to have this immage of Japanese whalesrs as blood thirsty meat eating destroyeres of earth. The one I knew seemed very smart and very environmentaly conscious. But of course, he does eat his catch as well. It does make it onto the Japanese diner table.

But the Japs arent the only people whaling. So are Americans. There are many species that are low in population that the Japs are whaling. And they get all the blame. I dont remember these numbers but the Japanese record close to 40 of a rare species whaled a year for "scientific purposes." When the Japanese started whaling these whales, there was a lot of scruitiny from the US. Yet, America whales 140 of the same species. I thought it was very hypocritical.

I must say that at one time I used to be one of those save the whales idiots too. But the issue has grown very big and the facts are out. Now, a whale burger doesnt sound that bad to me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]