5 star means they paid an additional fee to PADI...

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Johnson on August 07, 2001 at 22:38:01:

In Reply to: a 5 star rating means they can offer training up through any PADI level posted by CalAbDiver on August 07, 2001 at 14:27:18:

... and that they certify larger masses of PADI divers (this could have been a warning to Cygal, if she had bothered to ask about one of the points she was obviously sold on, "how did you get your 5 star rating?")

A PADI MSDT Instructor, who WAS working on a 5 star rating, told me that in order for his shop to become a 5 star dive center they had to pay a several hundred dollar annual fee to PADI, participate in some community project that get's them some press, and certify a certain number of PADI divers. In return, his shop would get a small percentage discount on PADI orders and could issue the gold c cards with 5 stars and the shops name on them. Realizing that 5 stars really didn't mean anything, he finally opted NOT to give PADI more of his money.

PADI's explaination of the 5 star rating is located at: http://www.padi.com/search/pira/fivestar.asp and reads as follows:
"The PADI 5 Star Dive Center membership level is awarded to progressive PADI Dive Centers that excel in providing dive consumers with a full range of diver education programs, equipment selection, and experience opportunities and that actively promote aquatic environmental awareness. A PADI 5 Star Dive Center is active in its community presenting a professional image consistent with, or better than, the norm of the marketplace. These dive centers embrace the PADI System of diver education and are committed to providing customers with quality products, services and experiences."

Frank, I apparently "full range of diver education programs" doesn't mean nitrox. I wonder if it means TecRec though?

Bill

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]