I dove Maui, Molikai & Lanai Dec. 2000 ....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Margaret on August 10, 2001 at 12:46:12:

In Reply to: Anyone know what the diving is like in Maui or Hawaii in general? posted by moonpieboy on August 10, 2001 at 12:00:42:

We dove Maui (Molokini crater & outer wall) with Prodiver Maui (or it may be Maui Prodiver) out of Kehei. Only takes 5-6 divers. Pierre excellent DM. Capt. Dave handled the lovely boat. Water was around 76-78, vis was probably 100+.

We dove Extended Horizons out of Lahaina to go to Lanai. Lava tubes, nice diving, but I recommend finding another provider who goes over there -- this one was a cattle boat and strictly follow the leader. I think Ed Robinson's goes to Lanai or perhaps Mike Severns.

Also did a shore dive, at dusk, at Black Rock on Kaanapali Beach. Quite a bit of surge, but still had probably about 25-30' vis.

Dove Molokai ... it has a 28-mile barrier reef, which a lot of people don't realize. We dove with one of the two dive operators, Bill Kapuni. After our first dive to "prove" our abilities, we dove the rest of the time alone (we were the only two divers for one day, and there were two others there on a "guided dive" the next time, so we got to go our own way). Just missed a pod of dolphins and whales, but we saw the humpbacks while boating back to the dock.

All water temps were 74-76. Vis was the worst on Molokai, probably the lowest was around 30 feet.

Saw turtles at all three islands, as well as spotted eels and the variety of tropicals (my favorite is the trigger fish). Saw two feeding mantas on Molokai on last dive, probably had close to 10' wing span. Incredible.

There it is in a quick summary. Email me off list if you want more info/contact stuff, and I'll check my log book.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]