What my thesis prof used to tell me...

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on August 13, 2001 at 15:12:50:

In Reply to: That's impossible . . . posted by SLANG on August 13, 2001 at 14:39:55:

Not to disagree with you Steve, but I'm in a posting mood, and I laughed when recalling this, so I'd thought I'd share before I stuff myself back into the hat.

We were walking down a fault trace for a line that had about 2 km of displacement, chatting about how hot it was. Suddenly, I look down, and the fault was over, done, gone, kaput. I could literally put my finger on a place in the Mojave where 2km of separation disappeared, and the in less than 30 cm, displacement was zero. Dumbfounded, I stood up and said, "That's impossible!" His response was simple, "If it did happen it can happen."

Of course, later on, after much thinking (drinking) and some more mapping, I figured it out (I also realized that this problem was the sole reason for our being out in that hellish local in the first place).

JRM

-- email if you care about the actual answer. By convention, all students agree not to publish any data on the site, in order not to ruin the impact for future nuggets.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]