difference between the Navy and the Civilian Agencies

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CalAbDiver on August 21, 2001 at 11:03:58:

In Reply to: Re: stuff happens posted by GlnSd on August 20, 2001 at 19:34:33:

the Navy normally starts with twice as many or up to 10 times as many applicants for diving "specialties" [read: careers] than the Navy has openings for, and many many other Navy "specialties" like "deck hand" or "mess mate" dont have the attraction that the glamourous jobs like diving have.

so the Navy has the luxury and necessity of being able to screen applicants. and the Navy does a fair amount of "hazing" during their screening process. the Navy Chiefs will shout at you: DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE A NAVY DIVER, SAILOR?! you really have to ask yourself that question too. you have to internalize it. are you willing to die to attempt to rescue a fellow shipmate?!

the civilian world is totally different. it is comprised of a market economy in a capitalistic society with student divers who are out for a good time. i personally do not see why any of the civilian agencies need to "screen" its divers with hazing tactics such as ripping off masks at depth. i could justify the need to haze student instructors and divemasters and A/Is. but not Joe & Sally Recreational Divers.

thats my opinion. that is the opinion of one person on a planet comprised of 6 billion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]