The fin swap

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on August 23, 2001 at 14:04:43:

In Reply to: just to say those XL fins SUCK. I know, real men... posted by Cabo on August 23, 2001 at 12:09:48:

First let me say, that if you REALLY want to enjoy cramps, slip on a pair of the Cressi Gara 2000 black blades. I have a pair, and while they add probably 20 feet to my freediving depth, they've also almost killed me (don't try to fight a surface current in them). So I feel that I have decent leg strength.

I *love* my split fins. I was the biggest fan of splits ever, until I ended up swapping fins with John in the pool. Splits are still great for the flutter, but blow *serious* chunks for most other kicks. Backing up is nigh impossible (I still can't do it very well, even in the jets, but that's my issue). I wear the XL as well, although the pockets are still too small to fit my drysuit boots (see previous posts about my custom-for-sasquatch drysuit).

Even John will attest to the fact that I was a huge fan of the splits going into the class. After the fin swap, I got out, went next door, and bought a pair of Jets right then. Shameless plug... Jim Hoffman over at Scuba Toys has the jets and the spring heelstraps in stock (at least he did). Worth every penny.

With the splits, all I did was flutter. Now I find myself using the frog more than anything. I put my splits back on when I did the Palawan, and I was shocked. I still can't figure out why I liked them so much. I was using rocket-fins prior to the splits. Note: US Divers Rocket Fins may look like Jet Fins, but they are nowhere even close in performance. Rocket fins suck!

If you want to laugh, go back and check the archives where I rave about splits. Off the top of my head, I remember saying something to the effect that "they aren't good at other kicks, but I don't use those kicks anyways." Well, with the proper fins, I use those kicks all the time now.

Don't bag the Jet Fins just because they're old school. Take the fundamentals class from John, and trade fins with him. Then you can experience the same differences I felt.

JRM

-- my pockets should be here tomorrow. I think I'm going to chop the boots off my drysuit when I put on the pockets. Anyone want a pair of size 13+ drysuit boots?

-- just my opinion. or my change of opinion. whatever.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]