5 Point PADI Ascent Procedures + 1

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl S. on August 31, 2001 at 13:42:07:

In Reply to: Good time to bring up skin bends...7 Point Procedures? posted by Daryl in Palm Springs on August 31, 2001 at 10:38:25:

Good point Daryl.

For re-ascent, I will add "loosen the wrist bands" to the other list of PADI items, IF I remember to do it. The best time to so is after you signal to your buddy regarding ascent, and while you are looking at your watch &/or computer regarding your dive time. Its hard for me to remember, but after actually breaking a few wrist strap eyelets, it is definitely worth doing.

Here is the list of PADI's ascent procedures, for review, oft maligned, criticized as impractical and legalistically overconservative, especially the hand raising part:

1. Signal to your buddy OK and UP, and wait for him/her to signal back;

2. Check your time and/or your computer to determine that you have stayed within your planned bottom time, and if not, take appropriate measures; [now would be a good time to loosen the wrist straps]

3. Look up and make sure there is nothing above you and no kelp overheard;

4. Raise your deflator hose above your head;

5. Raise your other hand above your head to ward off any overhead objects like the boat etc. [in reality, nobody does this, except new PADI OWSIs and A/Is in the IDC].

My compass' wrist buckle usually fits into Hole #4 on the surface, so I just adjust it back into that hole, even though at depth it is loose. My watch has a velcro band, so I just loosen it about 1/2 inch. My own computer fits on a hose mount off my right SPG hose (the one that leads from my pony bottle or from my right twin tank) so that is not problematic.

Thanks again. Good point about the skin bends "cracklies."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]