Jon Hardy memorial service (boats added)

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 12, 2001 at 16:53:06:

As mentioned previously, a memorial service for Jon Hardy, diving pioneer and longtime fixture on the Avalon and Catalina diving scene, will be held Saturday, September 22, at 5PM, at Pointe Buena Vista, which is a grove of trees part way up the hill to the old Wrigley Mansion, and which overlooks Avalon Harbor. I'm not sure exactly what shape this service will take or who will speak but it's informal and is open to all who wish to attend. My guess is that it will run about an hour and I understand there will a gathering/reception afterwards as well.

I'm pleased to let you know that the Catalina Express has added boats to make it easier for those who wish to attend just the service to get over and, more importantly, back the same evening. (Many thanks to Tina Kennedy in Avalon and Elaine Vaughn with the Express for getting this done.) If you'd like to make a boat reservation to attend the service, contact Catalina Express directly at 310/519-1212, then push "3" for reservations.

As of 11AM on Wednesday 9/12, the following boats were available:

FROM SAN PEDRO TO AVALON: 6:45am, 7:45am, 11:15am, 1:00pm (wide open), 3:00pm (wide open), and 3:45pm (which might be cutting it a little close).

FROM AVALON TO SAN PEDRO: 6:45pm (about half full) and 9:15pm (newly added so it's wide open with about 300 seats).

Jon meant many different things to different people. If he made animpact of your diving, I hope you'll join us in remembering him on the 22nd.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]