Re: OMS IQ Harness and 45# Bladder

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on October 19, 2001 at 08:53:00:

In Reply to: OMS IQ Harness and 45# Bladder posted by CB on October 19, 2001 at 08:33:36:

I don't know if he's a jerk or not. Calling the system a piece of junk is a bit harsh, but, personally, I would never use one given its design features. Things I don't like about the IQ include:

1. The use of quick releases
2. The chest strap
3. The hard placement of d-rings
4. The number of d-rings
5. The soft pack design

In other words, just about everything about it.

If the 45 lbs bladder has bungee around it, I really hate that. I also have no use for dual bladder systems, if that applies. Also, if you're planning to use the bladder for single tanks, why so much lift? All that lift just creates drag. Finally, my guess is the inflator hose is way too long and may also have a quick dump elbow. Quick dumps are worse than useless.

My general feeling about OMS products is they are reasonably well made but very poorly designed. That is, they tend to load up on features of no or negative value for which they then charge the consumer. The attitude seems to be to make their products look "technical" with all the extra crap and sacrifice performance and value in the trade.

I'm glad you got a good deal. My advice would be try to monetize it immediately by selling the thing for more than you paid. Sorry to bum you out, but you asked.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]