Redondo Canyon Squid Eggs (where to find them)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 10, 2001 at 15:39:37:

I just came back from a morning dive at Veteran's Park in Redondo (teaching the monthly Reef Seekers FREE Beach Diving Class - might as well get a plug in) and I'm happy to report that there are squid eggs to be found in the canyon.

Note also that conditions this morning (Saturday) for Redondo were EXCELLENT. Surf under 1', vis was 20-25', water temp 63º, no noticeable thermocline in the canyon. (Go dive it before it changes.)

We saw single eggs as soon as we descended into the canyon (60') and saw clusters in the 70-85' range. To my eye, because of the whiteness of the egg casings and the time of year, they all look pretty new. We even ran into an octopus who was munching on a dead squid.

If you want to go on a squid egg search, my advice is to enter lined up with the stairs, head straight out (pretty much due west) but veer a bit to your right. When you hit the canyon shoulder (around 35') continue on down until it levels out (around 60'), then head straight until you're in the 75' range. Turn left and start looking around.

If you've never seen them before, the squid eggs are about the size and shape of your index finger, very white, and are anchored in the sand. Each cluster will contains literally dozens (sometimes hundreds) of these egg sacs.

Good luck!!!

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]