Re: exploded tank out of hydro

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Maddiver on November 19, 2001 at 00:50:58:

In Reply to: Re: exploded tank out of hydro posted by Ed L. on November 18, 2001 at 17:07:09:

Ed-

the tank in question was the lp steel 72 with coating that possible prevented the rusting (deep pitting in my speculation as I have personally seen several of these tanks in this condition). I was aware as well as many PSI certified inspectors are made aware that these tanks have an insidious reputation that comes from the ability to be 'clean' on the inside while having massive pitting and structural wall damage under the coating on the exterior of the tank. In fact years ago when I filled tanks I would require that the tank be stripped of its coating before i would fill it or if some else filled it I would vacate the area (ie I went two blocks away behind a curtain of brick called McDonalds and had a big mac on the shop) This filler may have not known of these tanks but I hope that this will instill knowledge and not fear into people's minds. These tanks routinely fail hydro (which thankfully takes them out of service for us)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]