Well alrighty then

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Johnson on November 20, 2001 at 09:27:14:

In Reply to: Re: And The Dive Police Are ... (long) posted by Chris on November 20, 2001 at 00:01:20:

Chris,

Based on this post, it seems we agree on quite a bit.

I am not sure how my comment on cavern diving made me self-righteous, but I apologize for my holier than thou attitude anyway.

Since you plan on more advanced training, I obviously misunderstood your post. As you noted, advanced diver education is not limited to just one agency and I applaud your choices. I agree that one learns both in and out of the classroom; I think both are required. My point of contention was that you seemed to discount the in class training.

I have sought out instructors for myself using the same method you recommend them by. What amazes me is how many people DON'T do that. They mindlessly waltz into Sport Chalet and sign up for whatever PADI non-sense they offer, and walk out patting themselves on the back for getting a good deal.

I also don't know why some instructors become instructors before becoming advanced divers first. The only conclusion that I can come to is that these Open Water Instructors like diving to 60' in open water during the day and are somehow driven to teach others to do the same; their prerogative I guess.

Regards,

Bill

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]