Luxfer Tank Failure During VIP

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HD on November 22, 2001 at 02:09:33:

So here's one for you shop owners. I took my 1977 Luxfer Aluminum 80 tank (made from the 6351 alloy) in for a VIP a couple days ago. The last Hydro/VIP was done in October 2000, got it back no problem, full of air and with a new VIP sticker.

So yesterday I get a call from my dive shop..."Hey, your tank failed inspection, it has cracks near the neck so we had to fail it." I'm thinking OK....it was an old tank and I am familiar with the alloy with the alleged problems...and for a 24 year old tank i got my money's worth. But here's the deal: Shop guy says..."Hey, Luxfer will replace the tank (give me a brand new one) for $75, all I need is your OK." I'm thinking "....hmmm, 75 bucks for a brand new tank, that's cool, yea let's go for it."

So tonight I'm checking out the 6351 alloy info and I find out that one website says Luxfer will replace the tank for free and another one that says it will cost $50, as long as the inspector says it is a neck crack failure (which is what he told me anyway).

My question to you shop owners (I say this respectfully), or anyone else with a clue, should the replacement have cost me $75?
Thanks in advance. HD
Your Las Vegas dive buddy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]