27 years ago....

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on November 27, 2001 at 11:34:49:

In Reply to: Jade Cove posted by TDI_2 on November 27, 2001 at 09:11:38:

I had some friends living in a hippy/religious commune in the Morro Bay area. (Still there, I think) The commune built a fishing boat out of an underground gasoline storage tank. A big ugly ark looking thing. While I was visiting, the 'ark' grounded on it's maiden voyage right offshore where that freshwater creek pools up there just north of San Simeon. I voluntereed to 'guard' this P.O.S. ark with one of my buddies (from what I don't know)

We were there a little over two weeks. The seals/sea lions would engage in hand to flipper combat with us over abs on the rocks in the surf zone. The beaches were littered with what we thought was jade, and surf polished abalone shell fragments.

While my buddy did what commune people do for the two weeks, I collected all the polished 'jade' and shell fragments my backpack could hold. When I returned to the commune, I got all the hippy chicks to macrame up some necklaces out of waxed string, to which I attached pieces of jade or abalone shell.

Back in SoCal, I sold this "Jade" stuff at the beach for enough to buy my first set of dive gear...Later found it is wasn't jade. Guess I was too much a capitalist to be a good hippy

Take care,
Daryl

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]