One more for ya Doug.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by George Austin on December 03, 2001 at 12:16:23:

Heres another trick little dive from the beach in Laguna while you're keeping busy between boat dives.
Boat Canyon / Fishermans Cove. I have been doing this one a lot lately and really enjoy it. During the weekends the classes are stirring up the vis at Shaws, so this dive is one to get away from it all.

When you walk down the stairs at Shaws, walk down the beach (East) until you come to the little finger reef that sticks out. Its easy to see, especially at low tide. All you have to do is, during the dive, keep that little reef on your left. Keep working your way out to the end of that reef, its going to be about 100 yards or so. When you get to the tip of the reef (30fsw) check out the sand ripples that are 90 degrees and 270 degrees. Follow the ripples due East for about anoher 80 yards or so. That 80 yards will be nothing but sand. The giant black object that will come into view is the big reef directly in front of Boat Canyon. One of the biggest Bat Ray's I've ever seen lives out here, he's at least 5 ft across and if you're lucky he'll have his lunch (welks) piled up on the rocks and grinding away-- so preoccupied that he might not even see you coming until you can get close. Tons of octopi live on this reef. You'll see a small cave in front of you as soon as you get to the reef. It just leads to a narrow tunnel. Just keep the reef on your left, its really cool. For a while its a vertical wall thats probably 20 ft high. Really big Scallops out here but its a no take deal. Max depth will be 40fsw on this dive and I highly recommend it at night. Getting back is easy, just reverse everything.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]