Wouldn't it be a shame...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 03, 2001 at 18:31:50:

In Reply to: backpack diving and solo diving posted by SeaSerpent on December 03, 2001 at 14:32:13:

...if we all just kept to ourselves? If those among us who dive alone never talked about it and never passed on words of wisdom, then more newbies would try it. I suspect that open discussions, like exist here, are more likely to give potential solo divers cause to stop and think about their preparedness for such activities.

"Solo" is more dangerous than "qualified buddy" if you have a problem. But it is less dangerous than rescuing a buddy who has a problem. It all depends how you look at it.

There are many here to think it is OK to dive very deep and in "overhead" environments. Even with training and adherance to stringent rules, this is still riskier than my shallow kelp dives alone at night. Many think that Helium is a safer gas to use for recreational diving. I think it is more dangerous if abused and therefore does not have a place in what I call recreational diving. Also discussed here on this BBS is the dangerous practise of home brewing breathing gas mixtures. Very dangerous. Also discussed here is how to clean tanks with over-the-counter cleaning agents. Again very dangerous. And then those re-breathers that can sneak up and kill you without warning. Here you can even find an extremely safety conscience diver who regularaly flies after diving. Such a dangerous sport, it is amazing so many of us survive from year to year.

It is all about recognizing danger and trying to understand and deal with the risks.

There are some seasoned divers here with lots of experience. There are divers who do all kinds of things under water. This is a fun place to get different persepctives and to see if your beliefs and rationalizations stand up in the face of the logic of others. I lilke it the way it is. If you just want to hear a bunch of divers reciting training manuals at each other, move on. This board is about divers expanding their horizons.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]