I have another suggestion for the dive community

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 06, 2001 at 20:41:19:

In Reply to: A suggestion to the safety advocates posted by Eins on December 06, 2001 at 17:46:51:

I think problems with lack of predive communication are a big issue that can be addressed. When I buddy up, I spend time with the buddy going over signs, proceedures, gear operation including weight belts, etc. I initiate the conversation and make sure we go over all the stuff before we dive. I also do a buddy check and demand one back (by saying that they will do me next, they are more willing to submit to me checking out their gear). Deaths would have been prevented if others did this simple thing. Pre dive air checks and periodic air checks during the dive are so simple.

I think this does not happen because we are too shy about initiating this discussion for fear that we might insult the person we are buddied with or we are afraid that we might look like a newbie who still needs a checklist.

Pilots are not afraid of checklists and divers should not be afraid of them either. I make lots of checklists for site briefings, dive briefings, etc, etc. I make them with my computer, print them, and laminate them at Kinkos for about a buck a page. Most of mine are 1/2 page, front and back. They are water resistant (splashproof), and prevent me from forgetting to do stuff.

If everybody used them, there would be fewer problems and fewer forgotten items discovered on the boat. Maybe we ought to work up one here on the BBS and then we can all use them and assist the forgetful divers and keep all of us safer and happier.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]