Re: 'Splain Yoself Lucy...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 4Real on December 14, 2001 at 00:50:18:

In Reply to: Thats SPAM, mon frere. Read it B4 posted by George Austin on December 13, 2001 at 18:55:56:

Clairify sumthin here. How is a report on how a diver did or did not like a SCUBA educational course considered SPAM? Especially since it was after the fact. Would you have a different position if the report was about your course taught under the PADI or NAUI banners? Would that be considered SPAM too if your customer reported on this billboard they received the greatest advanced training of their life and it was supplied by George Austin and his NAUI or PADI or whaterever agency?

I for one feel that there is real need for advanced training for divers out there and NAUI, PADI are not providing it. What I get from what Kevin wrote is that no matter how good a diver you think you are, you can always be better. I took and received the LA County ADP certification and it kicked my butt. But from what I read, the GUE course kicks the LA County's ADP program's butt. I would like to see this film Kevin spoke of especially if it shows the before and after effects of the training. That would be proof to anyone if the course Kevin took was of any value. Safer, more enjoyment, more efficient, less trussing on the underwater enviroment. All seem to the the definitive pluses to the course and a value to all unless you enjoy being not as safe as you could be, less efficient, leaving more physical impact on the enviroment, and overall a potential safety hazzard to other around you if you really need help. That is just what the doctor ordered for the majority of the divers I see in California, the help they truly need. It is going to take someone to slap, or continue to slap, the egos of those who think they are rough and tough enough not to need the schooling. They however are the problem to begin with.

It sounds like Kevin is some kind of instructor with many years of experience and successfully trained students behind him. He saw great value in the training up front but went into it with an oh yeah let's wait and see attitude. I admire him for having the guts to say he learned something. I believe even the most experienced course director would go in with the same attitude and expectation and come out with the same revelation. Where the problem lies is in their egos, they think they dive just fine and don't want anyone to try to teach them otherwise. That is sad when an educator says they have nothing more to learn. What does that say about them to their instructors and their students?

But back to Georgie. The archives have proven, before anyone should take you and your positions seriously you should answer some of the other quastions posted to you in the past like this one, one of my favorites.

www.diver.net/bbs/messages/25487.shtml

I especially am interested in you basis for that statement as well as another earlier last month about almost the same topic involving tank fills and the DIR position between you, MHK and Raines. Essentially give up the names and name the situations to back up your defamatory posts.

Eagerly awaiting you responses to all references.

4Real (not DIR, but PADI, SSA, LA County)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]