Wait.

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on December 27, 2001 at 01:52:02:

In Reply to: New diver here. Need help on choosing new/used equipment. posted by Blue Dolphin on December 27, 2001 at 00:30:57:

Don't be in such a hurry to buy equipment. A new diver can be overwhelmed by the amount of choice out there. Better to rent for a little while so you can take the time to learn. You'll need the time because you'll soon learn that everyone has an opinion and everyone knows their equipment choice is the absolute best ;-)

Seriously though, whatever you do, DO NOT buy used equipment from the Recycler or Ebay. You simply don't know enough yet to make an informed choice. Only once you know exactly what you want, and have done the research on that product, should you even consider that as an option.

So, having said all that, here's my equipment list:

Halcyon backplate with 36lb wing and integrated weights.(this BC is extremely comfortable and the backplate will be 6 pounds negative - meaning that's 6 pounds less on your waist)
Atomic B1 regulator (not as expensive as the T1 and just as good performance-wise)
Any low volume mask that fits you comfortably (avoid masks with multiple side windows)
Atomic split fins or Scubapro Jetfins (I own them both and I keep going back and forth on this. The Atomics are extremely comfortable - especially on my knees - but the Jetfins aren't bad either and I'm more maneuveralbe in them)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]