I really like my little Garmin combo unit

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 27, 2001 at 08:06:00:

In Reply to: Who Knows About GPS's? posted by Eric Sedletzky on December 26, 2001 at 17:49:51:

I got the combination GPS/Sonar and I like it. I keep it in split screen mode with the rightmost inch of hte LCD being a running scroll of bottom. A single button push will swap to the Sonar screen. I bought the $69 map called waterways and lights. It has EVERY light and has many of the local wrecks marked, too. What it does not show is the breakwall. I thought this was kinda odd since it is a fixed structure that is hard to drive through. When I asked Garmin for guidance they told me to buy their BLUE CHART which is a real NOAA map scanned into the memory. On my PC at home, it looks just like a real chart. But if I download my waypoints and tracks into the PC, and zoom in, it shows my slip and me going in and out of it. This is nifty because now my map has depth contours, but some of the lights no longer show up on the LCD. The new map was $140, and I just bought it and am not sure which I like better, but I can switch them back and forth in the unit. I just have to use a PC to do it.

I have been extremely pleased with this unit. I checked the odometer yesterday (it has both trip and overall odometers) and saw that I have put on 240 nautical type miles on the unit since early November... and I still like it.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]