My 2 cents and experience...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed on December 27, 2001 at 14:39:53:

In Reply to: Who Knows About GPS's? posted by Eric Sedletzky on December 26, 2001 at 17:49:51:

GPS's are great. I have a Magellen 330M (marine version) on my boat as the primary unit, and a GPS100 as a backup. The same mount/adaptor power supply works for both, and I also carry 'spare' batteries just in case (maps and compass too, of course). The 330M has the base map and all the navigation information (buoys, navaids, etc) built in, and you can add detailed 'local' maps as well. You can also download/upload your favorite dive sites, fishing sites or whatever to/from your home computer. You can also mark some locations to scout on the MapSend CD-ROM (color detailed map on your PC), and download them to the GPS unit as well, which will put you right on top of your marked spot. It is also WAAS capable, and of course it shows you A TON of other info as well (such as speed, direction, ETA, miles remaining, your location on the map, etc, etc. I like it better than the Garmin E-Trex series for one reason: The buttons for operating it on on the front (face) versus on the sides. This allows it to be used as a hand held, as well as a mounted unit (as in a boat). With the ETrex, somehow it is not always easy to quickly access menu options quickly when it's mounted (but a great 'handheld' unit). If you do intend to use it in a boat, I would strongly recommend mounting it. When you are bouncing around and capitaning the boat at the same time, it is REAL HARD to operate that GPS! Been there, done that!

All in all, it is MY MOST FAVORITE (usefull) electronics device (equaly to a VHF radio) on a boat. On many many days, in THICK FOG, it has taken me to Anacapa / Santa Cruz, and back to the harbor. Some of those days were with only a couple of hundred yards visibility.

It is also, by far, the most accurate means of measuring on-water speed, as speedos on boats are inaccurate. GPS speed, however, is VERY accurate.

Another thing that I like about the 330M is it's Odometer feature. I have zeroed it, and used it in my car (and zeroed the car odometer as well). After a couple of weeks of everyday driving (roughly 368 miles or so), the car odometer was within 0.2 miles of the GPS odometer! This is a good feature to have on a boat, since it helps you calculate gas milage (thus range) more accurately, and be more aware of your available fuel/range. However, always follow the 1/3 rule. 1/3 fuel to get there, 1/3 to get back, and 1/3 for the unexpected (I follow the 1/3 rule, plus have a 5 gallon extra fuel. At 4 mpg under average conditions, the extra 5 gal. will give me about 20 miles).

Have fun, and be safe.

P.S. the 330M including the Map Send CD-Rom can be had for about $270 (ish).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]