Re: Not everything is covered in certification!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on January 01, 2002 at 22:32:34:

In Reply to: Re: Not everything is covered in certification! posted by Newbie on January 01, 2002 at 14:18:27:

I am a NAUI instructor. In our basic openwater class we touch on equipment. A brief overview and how to use it. We do not have the time to go into detail about every possible scenario about equipment. We don't even talk about how to use all the different types of equipment out there. There is just to much stuff on the market and not enough time in a class.

If you're interested in these types of things take a speciality course. The NAUI "Equipment Repair & Maintenance" course goes into much more detail about various types of equipment. I am sure that other certification agencies have similiar programs. You can take speciality courses from organizations other than your original certifing agency (for example, PADI divers are welcome in NAUI classes, and NAUI divers are welcome in PADI classes).

If there is a specific area that you are interested in, but you don't see a class offered ask! Instructors are trained to teach a myriad of different subjects however typically do not advertise any but the common popular ones. An instructor will probably create a class for you, though a one-on-one class can be expensive. If you have a few friends, or a club that share your interest going to an instructor and saying "My 6 friends and I are interested in an equipment repair class" will almost definately get that class added to the calendar. If not, drop me an e-mail, I'll be happy to set one up for you (if you're in SoCal).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]